If you have an Airbnb trip booked on or before 14 March with check-in dates on or before 15 August you can cancel with a Full cash (not credit or coupon) refund on card.
Step-by-step instruction how to get a Full refund on card canceling a reservation for a place to stay due to coronavirus (COVID-19)
To get a full money refund to the card guests whose reservation qualifies for Covid-19 Extenuating circumstances policy will need to send a cancellation request under Personal Extenuating Circumstance.
Note: Please use Airbnb.com website (PC/Mac/Laptop) for this instruction. Airbnbase community members reported issues with cancellation using Airbnb app on a mobile device.
- Go to Trips and find the trip you want to cancel
- Click or tap on the trip you want to cancel
- From the overview, click or tap Show details
- Click or tap Change or cancel
- Select COVID-19 as your cancellation reason
- You will see 0 or partial refund under YOUR REFUND and 100% refund in credit
7. Scroll down the page to where you see the paragraph that reads "If you qualify for an extenuating circumstances exception to your host's cancellation policy, you can apply for a full cash refund by submitting official documentation for review."
8. Now you've got to click on Learn more.
⚠ The wording may change - if you don't see Learn more link look for "Get started" or similar worded link to initiate the process.
8. Upload documentation confirming government-mandated restriction or medically mandated restrictions or transportation disruptions or closures or medical or disease control duties.
It can be just a screenshot from a government website with Covid-19 travel restriction guidelines, or email or a link to an official statement from the authorities or from the carrier or medical institution. But please avoid sending links to media articles or travel agent advises.
9. Input a short note to Airbnb about the cancellation.
10. You will see a confirmation page when the process is complete.
11. Soon you will receive an approval by email.
Airbnbase expert comment: Airbnb reviews Personal Extenuating Circumstance fast. Normally within an hour, but may take up to 1-2 days. They approve the majority of the cancellation requests and guests get a full refund, very small percent of claims is being declined.