🆕 Latest update (Nov 10, 2021) – RIVN shares began trading at $106.75 a share, 37 per cent higher than its IPO.
Rivian Automotive – Amazon-backed electric truck and SUV maker, has filed for an initial public offering. Rivian is one of the highest-profile potential competitors to Tesla Inc., has raised more than $8 billion to date from investors who expect its battery-electric cars to perform well in the US market.
Rivian's IPO takes place against the backdrop of increasing talk about combating environmental pollution, which is why the company's valuation is so high. The timing of the offering is also good: Glasgow is hosting COP26, the annual UN climate change conference, where many countries have confirmed their plans to transition to green energy.
- Detailed instructions how to participate in Rivian IPO (pre-IPO, offering price) please scroll down👇
What is an IPO and how it works
IPO is a process of offering shares of a private corporation to the public in a new stock issuance. Why go public? The primary benefit of going public is easier access to capital.
To go public, a company must have a track record of growth and other favorable results and hire an investment bank to come in and underwrite the IPO (Morgan Stanley/Goldman Sachs/J.P. Morgan/Barclays/Deutsche Bank Securities/Allen & Co./BofA Securities/Mizuho Securities/Wells Fargo Securities/Nomura/Piper Sandler/RBC Capital Markets/Baird/Wedbush Securities in Rivian case). The underwriters also performed due diligence and verified financial information and business model.
Once the paperwork done, the company sells the stock to institutional investors. When the initial block of shares has been sold, the company with underwriters' help sets an initial price and date for the stock to begin trading on a stock exchange.
Company Profile and Financial Indicators before Rivian IPO
Rivian Automotive is the EV startup backed by Amazon and Ford.
Rivian was valued at $2.67B in a funding round in January, 2021. Overall, it raised more than $8 billion since the start of 2019 from investors who expect its battery-electric pickup and SUV to gain market share in the US. Rivian is likely to be one of the highest-profile competitors to Tesla.
Rivian also has a deal with Amazon to build 100,000 custom electric delivery vans by 2030. In the near-term, the companies say 10,000 of the vans will be on the road making deliveries by 2022. Rivian will build three different models of the van, which is capable of going about 150 miles on a single charge.
Rivian has more than 3,600 employees split across offices in Michigan and California and its production facility in Illinois.
The most affordable Rivian model costs $67 500. All available vehicles for pre-order with basic equipment were sold out, indicating a high demand for the brand's cars.
The IPO filing revealed that Rivian had 48,390 preorders for the R1T truck and R1S SUV in the US and Canada as of September 2021. The filing mentioned that Rivian has started a philanthropic mission called Forever. Also the company said in the filing it had less than $1.07B in revenue in the last year and that its 2020 loss rose to $1.02B from $426B the previous year.
Apart from the vehicles, the company is working on FleetOS, a fleet-management subscription platform.
Address 14600 Myford Road Irvine, California 92606
Market Cap $51289.0mil
Revenues $0 mil (last 12 months)
Net Income $-1635.0 mil (last 12 months)
Rivian IPO news and updates:
November 10, 2021 – RIVN shares began trading at $106.75 a share, 37 per cent higher than its IPO.
November 9, 2021 – Rivian prices IPO at $78 a share.
November 6, 2021 – Rivian boosts IPO price range, aims for $65B valuation
November 5, 2021 – Rivian IPO puts a spin on Ford’s market value. Ford (F) stocks surged +23% for 3 days.
October 29, 2021 – Amazon reveals 20% stake in electric-vehicle maker Rivian
October 18, 2021 – Rivian cash flow analysis.
October 5, 2021 — Detailed analysis of Rivian IPO filing.
September 15, 2021 — The company’s first pickup for a customer drove off the assembly line at its plant in Normal, Illinois with the CEO behind the wheel.
How to Buy Rivian Stocks Before the IPO (Offering Price)
In the past, IPOs as highly profitable investments were available only to the privileged customers of the leading brokerage firms and it was challenging for retail investors to gain access. You couldn't buy shares paying the price set by the company and you had to wait until the shares actually start trading on the public stock market at whatever stock price supply and demand allows.
Technologies and marketplaces changed the rules of the game, now regular investors can get pre-IPO shares. To participate in Rivian IPO you need to use an IPO investing app like Freedom Finance (NASDAQ: FRHC), TD Ameritrade or Fidelity. They give its customers access to IPOs and secondary offerings through their existing brokerage account. Also you can buy Rivian shares when the company goes public via a commission-free trading app like eToro or Webull.
🚨 Detailed Instructions How to Participate in the Rivian IPO before public trading:
Below we share the instruction how to participate in the approaching Rivian IPO using Freedom Finance (Freedom24 platform). This marketplace is chosen as an example because GitLab is already listed there.
🎁 A special offer is available for this IPO.
* Freedom Finance services are NOT available to US citizens and residents.
- Apply for a Freedom Finance account — you need to prepare your identity document and a document confirming the address of residence (utility bill). The verification process is very fast, it will take 2 minutes to create your account.
- Deposit your account — to participate in an IPO, your account must have available funds in the amount you send IPO application for.
- 💡 Tip: It's recommended to deposit your account in advance. Often the exact IPO date is undefined until the last day. You may have a short notice for participation and account deposits also takes time for processing. Also, sometimes Freedom sends last-minute IPO offer when you have 2 hours to participate.
- Submit a request to participate in the IPO — when applications are open select Rivian and click Participate in the IPO > input the amount you want to invest > Send your application. Note: Before the book closing, a request can be withdrawn. At the time of the book closing, 1 day before the start of the exchange trading, the specified amount will be blocked on the account.
- Wait for allocation — The actual number of stocks purchased during an IPO depends on supply and demand. The higher underwriter reserves the right to partial execution of collective applications. So if the demand is high you may get less than you applied for. Of course, you will only pay for the shares purchased. The rest of the funds will be returned to your account.
- Start of trading — With the beginning of the public trading on the stock exchange, the purchased shares will appear on the account and a lock-up period will start — a 93-day period of prohibition on sale. You can’t sell stocks, but you can track their current value and growth indicators in your personal member area and a trading terminal.
- Closing your trade — At the end of the 93 days lock-up period, you will be able to manage your stocks at your discretion — leave in the portfolio or sell and withdraw money or transfer the stocks to another depository/ broker in your name. This can be done in your account by clicking the ‘Sell’ button next to the name of the security. In this case, a commission of 0.5% of the amount of the sale transaction is charged.
Is investing in IPOs profitable?
Not always. The average return at the end of the lock-up period is 72%, past IPOs data.
When is the Rivian IPO date?
Rivian's IPO date is November 10, 2021.
What is Rivian IPO price range?
UPD (Nov 9): Rivian priced IPO at $78 a share
How to Invest in Rivian after the IPO date (opening price)?
After the IPO you can buy Stripe stocks via Freedom24 on the first trading day. Or if you're from US use a commission-free trading app like eToro.
In what currency Rivian IPO and post-IPO shares will be traded?
The Rivian IPO and stock currency will be USD.
If you have funds in another currency the cheapest way to convert your currency is to use the mid-market rate (that’s the one you’ll find on Google) which can be done via fintech services like Transferwise. Banks may add hidden markups to their exchange rates - charging you more without your knowledge. And if they have a fee, they charge you twice. TransferWise never hides fees in the exchange rate.
Talking about currency exchange – if you need to buy crypto the best and cheapest way to do it on the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world - Binance. If you don't have an account yet, here you can create a free account with 5% cashback over every trade you do.
What is the Rivian (stock symbol)
Rivian ticker will be RIVN
Rivian Registration Statement on Form S-1
Sources used: Bloomberg, Crunchbase, Yahoo Finance
This page may contain affiliate links.